Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Monday Night Bible Study

We’ve made the decision to go back again to Jamaica.  We want to do more research, to make more connections, to see if this really is what God is calling us to do.  It all seems kind of surreal.  Us?  Really? 

We’ve been in constant contact with our friend, Linda, who has a place in Jamaica where we visited for a day or two last summer.  Linda tells us that she is taking a team of people there this summer. The timing of the trip doesn’t work out with our kids’ schedules, and we don’t really feel like we are supposed to be a part of this team.  But we want to do something to help.  So, I offer to host a preparatory bible study at our house for those that are going.

We decided on Monday evenings and I nervously planned our first session.  I am not a bible scholar.  Although I grew up in the church, attended a Christian Day School and have many relatives that are pastors, I am probably not as well versed in bible teachings as I should be and I am the first one to tell you that I am not a good teacher.  But I printed off some free internet resources.  I resigned myself to start the discussion and just prayed that God will take over from there.

The first night we had about a dozen attend.  We had a great discussion and made a bunch of new friends.  We met together for about six weeks until the team went.  We stayed home and prayed for them the entire time.  I scoured Facebook for updates.  It looked like they were enjoying their time serving and their time in the sun.

When the group returned, we invited them over to share with us. They told us stories that we could relate to about the people, the heat, the lack of running water, the great food.  We longed to go back. So, we started planning.

I researched all things Jamaica online.  I sent emails.  I made more phone calls.  I reached out and made new Facebook friends.  And with each response I got from Jamaica, I got more and more excited.  And each time my heart skipped a beat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment