Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Meeting Alex

My brother, Dan, had been living with us since shortly after Bruce and I got married.  He moved in to a bedroom in the basement and just never left.  He helped us take care of the kids, mostly helping with driving to and from all their different activities.  And just having another adult in the house was really helpful and gave us a lot of freedom.

We also moved my parents in down the street from several hours away to live near us so that we can help to take care of them as they get older.  Having Dan around meant that he could also visit with mom and dad and help to take care of them, too.

Dan is a sword swallower.  Yes, you read that right.  He travels around the country and around the world sharing the gospel in his own unique way.  But we encouraged him to reach out and do something else, too.  So, in April 2013, Dan took a job as the US Director of an outreach ministry that housed an orphanage in Kazakhstan.  In and through his travels both in our country and others, Dan meets many people.

One night at dinner in November, Dan told us about a Russian friend that he had made on a recent trip to Ohio named, Alex. Abandoned by his mother in a St. Petersburg dumpster when he was only three days old, Alex Krutov should not have survived. But God had something else in mind. Alex was raised in the harsh Russian orphanage system, and until the arrival of some Christian missionaries from the US, Alex's life was one of hopelessness and despair.  God pursued Alex, and he has started a ministry in Russia for emancipated orphans called The Harbor.

Bruce and I listened intently to Dan’s story about Alex.  Then Dan told us that the ministry he was working for would be hosting a banquet and that Dan was going to ask Alex if he would come and speak.  Dan said they needed a place for Alex to stay overnight and asked if he could stay with us. Sure, we said.  But on one condition.  We wanted to go to the dinner so that we could hear him speak, too.

Alex has written a book called Infinitely More.  Dan gave me a copy and I read through it in no time. It is an inspiring true story of a young man who would not give up, and the God who relentlessly pursued him. Jesus said, "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."  Through Alex’s book, I was reminded that God came to Alex, and He offers hope to all of us.  I was moved to tears many times though those pages. And I couldn’t wait to meet this man in person and to make another new friend.

On the night of the banquet, we walked into the church hall and Dan immediately found us and introduced us.  Alex is a slender, well dressed, dark haired man. You would not know that he is from Russia just by talking to him since he has no accent at all.  He is warm and friendly and from the first moment we met him, I felt like we had always been friends.

Bruce and I sat down at a table in the back by ourselves and enjoyed the catered dinner.  But I could hardly wait for the main course - which for me was hearing Alex speak.  He told his story eloquently, every detail just like I had read in his book.  After the events of the evening were over, Dan stayed back to help clean up and Alex was talking to others.  Bruce and I went home.  We were sitting at our kitchen table when they walked in.

Alex came over and sat by me.  I peppered him with questions.  He graciously answered every single one.  His ministry, The Harbor, has been rehabilitating teenagers and young adults for many years. Alex understands the gap that happens when kids age out of the state orphan system.  It was so humbling to talk to him and interesting to hear all his stories.  We have only a vision.  But Alex shares from another place - having lived through it and survived.  So many kids who age out end up in self-destruction or a life of crime.  Alex is helping kids get to the other side of the survival.  

Alex spends much of his time traveling around the country raising support.  As we talked about different fundraising techniques, he told me that I should contact his friend in Tennessee, Wayne Sneed. Wayne is the CEO and founder of Orphanos, a non-profit organization that partners with Christian ministries and missionaries who help at risk children around the world.  Alex gave me Wayne’s phone number and said, very directly, call him tomorrow.

And I intend to.

No comments:

Post a Comment